In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, Coalition for Medicare Choices (CMC) advocates across the country engaged in a dynamic Week of Action, where they connected with their Members of Congress and raised their voices about the importance of protecting Medicare Advantage from potential cuts. CMC members engaged directly with 30 Members of Congress and staff, recorded videos sharing about the importance of their Medicare Advantage coverage and what it means to protect the program, amplified their support for Medicare Advantage on social media, and published over two dozen opinion pieces in media outlets reaching an audience of over 1.5 million.
Below are highlights from the successful Week of Action:
Engagement with Members of Congress:
- CMC members met with Representative Carolyn Bourdeuax (D-GA-07) to discuss the value of Medicare Advantage and encourage the Congresswoman to oppose any cuts to the program.
- Bourdeaux told the group, “I am opposed to any cuts to Medicare and Medicare Advantage.”
- CMC members stopped by Representative Josh Harder (D-CA-10)’s office to share why they like their Medicare Advantage plans and encouraged Rep. Harder to protect the program from cuts.
- Following the meeting, Rep. Harder recorded a video highlighting how Medicare Advantage provides seniors with high-quality, affordable care.
Thank you @JoshHarder for your support of Medicare Advantage and the better services, better access to care, and better value it provides. Remember, today is the last day to sign up for coverage. Visit https://t.co/1KaaoT0ohI to learn more. pic.twitter.com/Wr1BIRTkEh
— The Coalition for Medicare Choices (@protectmyMA) December 7, 2021
- CMC member Lorna dropped by Senator Patty Murray’s (D-WA) office in Seattle to share with her staff how Medicare Advantage is important to her and other seniors in Washington, and to ask that Sen. Murray protect Medicare Advantage.
- Representative Henry Cuellar (D-TX-28) recently published an opinion piece in The San Antonio Express-News, explaining how Medicare Advantage provides high-quality health care coverage to minorities, particularly the Hispanic community in Texas.
Earned and Social Media
- West Virginia CMC member Mary Louise had the opportunity to share how Medicare Advantage keeps seniors like her healthy and active. in a radio interview on the Dave Miller show, Mary Louise discussed the extensive benefits and services she receives through Medicare Advantage and urged Congress not to make any cuts to the program.
- Judith, CEO of the New Jersey State Nurses Association, published an op-ed in NJ.com. Judith underscores that she supports Medicare Advantage because, “Medicare Advantage works for seniors, and it is in the interests of lawmakers and constituents alike to continue supporting this program.” She also highlighted how Medicare Advantage supports low-income seniors and urged Congress not to cut the program.
- Massachusetts State Representative Steve Ultrino (D-SD-33) who is an active voice on health care issues in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, voiced his support for Medicare Advantage on Twitter and urged Representative Katherine Clark (D-MA-5), Assistant Speaker of the 117th Congress, to protect it from cuts.
- Several CMC members recorded videos describing how Medicare Advantage delivers better services, better access to care, and better value, and urging Congress not to cut this essential program. From receiving high-quality care at an affordable cost to accessing benefits that promote healthy habits, Medicare Advantage allows seniors to make their health a priority.
The efforts of our Coalition members during CMC’s Week of Action demonstrate how important Medicare Advantage is for 27 million seniors and people with disabilities across the country. As Congress considers reconciliation legislation in the coming weeks, the message from our Coalition members is clear: Congress must protect Medicare Advantage.
Related News & Resources